Monday 25 March 2013

Missing that Magic...

So another Friday another show and I'm starting to feel like something is a tad out of place. Now don't get me wrong the show went well, I even stuck in a new song and the audience that was there enjoyed things, thing is though apart from the three friends that made it down the rest of the audience was just the rest of the bands that were playing. This seems to be about the size of crowd I can seem to expect doing gigs at the moment and I can't help but feel that I'm somehow missing some piece of the puzzle.

I'm fairly certain that I'm not a horrific musician, the odd bits of feedback I get are pretty positive, and the people who are giving it don't seem like the types to be just patting me on the head and saying it because they don't think I could handle being told I was awful. The demo I made I think was pretty ok for a first go, that I did for free in my spare room in an afternoon, I wasn't expecting it to go into the top forty or anything but I at least enjoy listening to it. Hell even this blog gets a small amount of regular interest even though it's mostly full of nonsense and waffle. But despite these things I feel like I'm dragging along Red Rag Front against it's will and that people really just aren't interested at all.

Now people not wanting to listen to me isn't much of a problem, I wont ever stop playing music but I feel like maybe there is a better outlet than begging my way onto a stage that no one really wants me to be on. It seems to me like there is a fundamental piece of the puzzle I have overlooked, and I have a feeling that piece is networking. I don't go to a lot of gigs and shows and I haven't made friends with any promoters, asides from the shows I played. I had thought this would be enough to generate some interest in the band, and then having the EP up for people to listen would help cement some interest but it just hasn't worked out that way.

Is this just what all new start ups go through? Certainly doesn't seem that way from the friends I have but maybe the real missing piece of the puzzle is that they are exceptional and I'm not.

No comments:

Post a Comment